Re: Finally figured it out (was: Default fonts for applications?)

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 06:18:51PM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>

> > [ ... ]
> >
> > Files:   $HOME/.gtkrc-kde
> >          /usr/share/gnome/gtkrc
> >          /usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc
> >          /usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
> >          /usr/share/themes/Default/gtk/gtkrc
> >          /etc/gtk/gtkrc.en
> >
> > Statements:
> >
> >   style "default-text" {
> >          fontset = "-misc-fixed-bold-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*"
> >   }
> >
> >   class "GtkWidget" style "default-text"
> >
> >   class "*" style "default"
> >

> > What am I missing here?
>
> Well, I finally figured it out:
>
> 1.  $HOME/.gtkrc-kde gets overwritten every time I log in,
>     so my changes disappeared before they could take effect.

This is KDE playing games with GTK apps.  It has an option (in the
colour or theme section of the control panel) to try to make GTK (and
other) apps look like KDE ones, i.e. fiddle with their colours.  I
always disabled it when I used KDE since it just ended up looking
stupid.

> 2.  I noticed the following environment variable setting:
>
>       GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/ljz/.gtkrc:/home/ljz/.gtkrc-kde
>
>     So, I created a $HOME/.gtkrc that contained the "style" and "class"
>     statements.  That file doesn't get overwritten.

Again, this is KDE playing games.  I think I mentioned the ~/.gtkrc file
in my original response.

> 3.  The last "class" line should have been this:
>
>       class "*" style "default-text"
>
>     (I had accidentally typed "default").
>
> Based on these insights, I was able to get the fonts I desire in
> mozilla, gqview, and lots of other apps.
>
> Thanks again to you folks who pointed out that mozilla uses gtk after
> all, which got me back on the right track.
>
> And now ... is any of this documented anywhere?  If so, where?

Not sure, aside from the GTK source, I guess...I'm sure it's come up (at
least) on the GTK lists over at gtk.org, so maybe try there?

-rob