Re: Default fonts for applications?

Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:25:33PM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>

> [ ... ]
>
>> For example, mozilla (version 1.0.0) comes up with that default font on
>> its menu bar.  I've looked in app-defaults and in the various X startup
>> files, but I can't figure out how to change that particular font.
>
> I don't really know where Mozilla gets it default font from, sorry.
>
>> To be clear, I want to emphasize that this same font is is used for
>> quite a few other X-based apps that I run, such as gqview.  None of
>
> gqview (IIRC), is a gtk-based program, so it's font will be set in
> ~/.gtkrc.  This file is pretty simple, and it should be obvious how to
> modify it.  Use 'xfontsel' to find a font, if you don't know it's full X
> font resource string.

Perhaps I didn't make my original question clear.  Many X apps,
including mozilla (which is NOT a gtk app) and gqview (which IS a gtk
app), plus lots of other X apps (gtk and non-gtk alike) use this exact,
same, default font that I'm referring to.  This font is NOT
application-specific or toolkit-specific, and as I mentioned, it's not
controllable via the KDE control panel.

Therefore it seems to me that there must be some sort of default X font
that gets used when an application doesn't specify its own font.  If
so, where is this default font set?

Does it result from the "FontPath" setting in my XF86Config-4 file,
perhaps?  Is there maybe some generic Xdefaults setting that controls
this?  Is it hard-coded into the X server?  Or ... ???

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com