Re: Default fonts for applications?

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:25:33PM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> I'm running woody with kde.  I've used the kde control panel to specify
> the fonts I'd like to use, and these settings indeed work for various
> kde objects, for window manager decorations, etc.

Correct.  The default font an app uses under X depends (mostly...) on
the toolkit it's written using.  All KDE apps, unsurprisingly, use KDE
so are set from the one place ;-)

> For example, mozilla (version 1.0.0) comes up with that default font on
> its menu bar.  I've looked in app-defaults and in the various X startup
> files, but I can't figure out how to change that particular font.

I don't really know where Mozilla gets it default font from, sorry.

> To be clear, I want to emphasize that this same font is is used for
> quite a few other X-based apps that I run, such as gqview.  None of

gqview (IIRC), is a gtk-based program, so it's font will be set in
~/.gtkrc.  This file is pretty simple, and it should be obvious how to
modify it.  Use 'xfontsel' to find a font, if you don't know it's full X
font resource string.

-rob