Re: vi as a text editor

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:58:28PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

| really?  i've been beating my head against this for a while now, and
| have to date only managed to get dark-blue-and-pink syntax
| highlighting on the Suns i work on ... exporting TERM=dtterm doesn't
| seem to do much, either.  do i need to rewrite my syntax highlighting
| configuration files, or something?  any tips on this would be greatly
| appreciated!

If you use a dark (black) background in your terminal like I do, then
put
    set bg=dark
    syn on
in your .vimrc.  Then vim will use lighter colors for the
highlighting.  If you want gvim's gui to match, add
    hi Normal guibg=black guifg=white
before the 'syn on' line.

The problem with using TERM=xterm on Solaris is that all you get is
bold and underlines for "highlighting" because programs will think
your terminal doesn't have any color support on it.

HTH,
-D

--
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/