Re: vi as a text editor

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 03:05:38AM -0600,  Rob VanFleet wrote:
| On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:30:09PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
| > On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:24:27AM -0600,  Rob VanFleet wrote:
| > > On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:18:11PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

| > no. someone asked me to use vim instead.

The reason for that is vim has many more (useful!) features than 'vi'
(copyrighted by Bill Joy and found only on Solaris sytems) or the
other free clones (elvis and nvi).

| Ah, sorry - I use vim quite a bit

I always use vim :-).

| vim is a little over-featured, but some of those features are very nice.
| :)  The syntax highlighting (in mail as well as code) is something I'm
| loath to do without.

Indeed!

| As an aside, I primarily use standard vi on Solaris,

I feel your pain ;-).

| since Solaris never seems to understand my remote terminal well
| enough to allow syntax highlighting.  Does anyone know how to fix
| that? :)

export TERM=dtterm

The termcap on Solaris is a bit braindead since xterm and friends
entries lack color support.  I did manage to discover, at one point,
that the dtterm (their CDE terminal emulator) entry has color support
and is compatible with xterm.

-D

--
The way of a fool seems right to him,