Re: Version To Use? (2)

Hi John

On Sunday 17 November 2002 10:57 am, John Floren wrote:

[snip]

> You seem to miss the point, or so I understand it.  I want to download
> the distribution on a DIFFERENT computer, burn a installation CD,

http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

Explains how to build ISO images for the various flavours of Debian.

> and
> install it on my old computer.  The old computer doesn't have a modem
> worth speaking of, as it has an external 26K modem, which I don't think
> would be very good for this, unless I used it to download the base
> system and then get all the other stuff with my faster computer.

Do you have network cards in both machines ? Can you use the faster computer
as a proxy ?

Alternatively, pre-burnt CDs are available pretty cheaply, from about $5 to
$20 depending on where you get them from and how many packages you want in
the bundle - the full distribution is about 7 CDs now, iirc. Whether or not
you think this is worth it depends on how much your time is worth to you, but
it's another option you might consider:

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

- Derek