Re: Version To Use? (2)

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 12:59, Christophe Courtois wrote:
> > You seem to miss the point, or so I understand it.  I want to
> > download the distribution on a DIFFERENT computer, burn a
>
>  If you have only a 56k modem, you should better buy the CDs. I don't
> know where you live, but for example Ikarios.com sells them for almost
> nothing (10€) from France.

I must say that I agree with Christophe completely.  I downloaded the
first Linux distro I ever installed over a 56k connection (It was
Mandrake 1.0 back in about 1997).  The FTP session took roughly 36
hours.  Woody will take considerably longer, and I can only say that if
you MUST download to install then you should DL the minimal installation
floppy images and use apt-get to add ONLY the packages you need.

When I installed woody, I ordered the then unofficial CD set from the
computerhelperguy (see the Debian CD sources webpage).  The 5 CD set
(this was Jan of 2001) cost me US$20 and arrived about 4 days later.  I
seriously doubt that I could have downloaded 5 isos in 4 days over my
then-56k connection.  The current official CD images set is 7 isos x
roughly 650 MB/each = roughly 4.5 GB.  I don't regard that as a
practical download over a dialup.  Think about it.

Best regards,

ninewands