Re: Version To Use? (2)

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:28:26AM -0800, John Floren wrote:

> So, I should just use the new release?  Remember, my computer is really
> slow, I could only download with a 56K modem, and I can't download
> directly to the intended computer.  Also, exactly how large is the
> current release?  I don't want to spend _too_ long downloading it :-)
> Thanks,
> >From a Debian newbie

If the computer doesn't have a network connection, I suspect that you
would be better off purchasing CDs.  The full set for Debian 3.0 is 7
CDs, which is probably something > 3 GB.  You probably don't need them
all, but it would be hard to determine which ones you really need in
advance.  Even downloading to another computer and burning a few CDs
would be a real pain with a 56K modem.  If the target computer is
networked, it is pretty simple to install the base files and use
apt-get or dselect to add whatever additional packages you need.

Version 2.2 is slightly smaller, but not enough to justify its
installation, IMHO.

Linux Central has the 3.0 CD set for $14.95, which to me beats
downloading several gigabytes over a modem connection.

Bob