Re: printing - from beginning

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:59:35PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:50:22PM -0800, nate wrote:
> > i think i have all thse modules installed. how do i make sure that i
> > have them up and loaded?  here is what dmesg has to say:
>
> /sbin/lsmod

here is output of lsmod:

parport_pc             25704   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6912   0  (autoclean)
parport                21728   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
nls_cp437               4384   2  (autoclean)
i810_audio             21248   0
ac97_codec              9568   0  [i810_audio]
soundcore               3236   2  [i810_audio]
keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
input                   3072   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
usb-uhci               20708   0  (unused)
usbcore                48032   0  [usbkbd usb-uhci]

this shows parport_pc is loaded. however, there is no trace of it in dmesg! is this the snag?

> it looks like maybe parport_pc isn't loaded for you.
>
> > > your printer(Deskjet 710C) is a winprinter,
> >
> > could be. but if i do echo "SOMETHING" > /dev/lp0, what is happening?
> > as printer doesnt even blink!
>
> I had a 712C (IIRC) working just fine, which uses the same driver.  Have
> you tried using the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org?
>
> This link:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=pnm2ppa&printer=61472&.submit=Generate+PPD+file
> is the one for CUPS.

oh! this is where all the firghtening stuff begins. i will just go to the link and download the ppd file and keep it ready in ~

> They also report that this printer works 'perfectly' so don't despair
> yet (^:

some relief - i must say!

> So, first check if parport_pc is loaded,

going by /sbin/lsmod, it seems parport_pc is loaded. however, i went into modconf and checked if it is loaded and it shows a + next to parport pc - confirming it is loaded.

why does dmesg not show it?

 and if not, load it with
> modconf - that way it will load at boot each time.  If that doesn't get
> things going, try the ppd generated by linuxprinting.org, at the link
> above.

i will keep the ppd file ready in my home. but do you think i need to solve my parport_pc problem first? do you think that is the root cause of all trouble i have faced?

thanx again,

sandip p deshmukh