Re: Root can't login (but can in single user mode)

This one time, at band camp, Xaveer Leijtens said:
> >> I run debian woody on a number of machines, but on one of them I can't
> >> login as root. Only if I reboot in single user mode, everything is fine.
>
> > Did this start after a crash? A similar thing happened to me a while back,
> > my machine crashed and then no user could login except root in single user.
> > I sniffed a pam problem and, sure enough, my /etc/pam.d directory was gone.
> > I just restored it from backup, and all was right again.
>
> No not as far as I can remember. Besides, the /etc/pam.d directory seems
> to be OK.
> Maybe I should add that normal users can login on console, and via e.g.
> kdm. So it looks like there is some additional authentication required
> after going to multiuser mode, that only affects root logins.
>
> Is there anyone that can give me a hint on where to look?
>
> Thanks,
> Xaveer

Somewhere in /etc/pam.d (maybe security?) there is an option to disable
root console logins.  You might check to see if that's been enabled.
|Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #120:  we just switched to FDDI.  |
|steve@lobefin.net             |                                               |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |