Re: Home and end keys (was Re: Make Debian better)

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:29:11 +1000, Russell wrote:
> > The standard xterm commands are in:
> >   http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/howto/Xterm-Title/ctlseqs.txt
>
> OK, so Home and End should be CSI 1 ~ and CSI 4 ~. This is also what
> I get with the Nettle terminal under RISC OS.

I've tried those sequences with: echo -n "^[[1~" >/dev/pts/1
but had no success. Those codes are not in the terminfo listing
for xterm. All i can suggest is to try and get the
Home/End keys to emit ^[OH / ^[OF  ( SS3-H or khome, SS3-F or kend).

> > BTW, did you use an xterm with TERM="xterm" ?
>
> Non, I never user TERM="xterm" as it is too generic (it doesn't always
> have colors, nor bce).

*VT100*colorMode: on, or maybe *XTerm*colorMode: on.
See /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color. There are also
ESC codes to enable xterm colors.

> > If TERM somehow didn't match the terminal you're using, then
> > the wrong terminfo entry would be used which means the terminal
> > would be getting the wrong commands (so i theorize...)
>
> But even with the same value of TERM, the sequence depends on the
> machine. This isn't normal.

Type "infocmp" on both machines and see if the first couple of
lines of the listing matches the TERM being used.

> > Try getting the keys to work in a bash shell, which should
> > prove the terminal part works. Then try the zsh which might
> > isolate the problem.
>
> I know how to make it work with zsh, but I first want to fix the
> configuration. Any idea?

In an xterm, type:
  tput init
  ^[[?1h
where ^[ is ESC done by ctrl-v then ESC key.