Re: Home and end keys (was Re: Make Debian better)

> > > To activate the Home and End keys (dedicated or keypad ones) in xterm,
> > > press ctrl+button 2 (mouse left+right) to get the xterm "VT Options"
> > > menu, then select "Enable Application Cursor Keys". Alternatively,
> > > type: echo -n "^[[?1h", where ^[ is the literal ESC character.

Why do you have to activate them?  What are you doing to deactivate
them?

> > Man, if you know how long I have been stuggling with this (and many users
> > too). Why isn't this the standard in Debian (e.g. keys ought to do what
> > you expect them to do, not just *beep*)?
>
> I'd been under the impression it was just a bug. xterms in unstable work
> fine.

As far as I can tell on many machines xterms in stable work fine.
Perhaps they got broken in testing now fixed in unstable?

Let me repeat myself.  "If you just do a clean woody install the home
and end keys work fine in an xterm in woody."

Having said that I assume there must be a bug somewhere if so many
users are reporting this as a problem.

Bob