Re: Home and end keys (was Re: Make Debian better)

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 22:57:03 +1000, Russell wrote:
> I'm assuming TERM="xterm".

I use either TERM=xterm-xfree86 or TERM=xterm-vt220 (but the escape
sequences for Home and End keys don't depend on which value I choose).

> Type: echo -ne "\e[c" and see what numbers are returned in
> both terminals.

RedHat: 1;2c

(I can't try the Debian one here.)

> > But anyway, the escape sequences are not the same.
> >   * Xterm on RedHat: ^[[H and ^[[F
>
> The terminal is set for "normal cursor keys" (DECCKM).
> Set it to "application cursor keys". Type: echo -ne "\e[?1h"

This doesn't change anything in practice. I think that zsh isn't
configured for Home and End.

However, when I connect to some other machine (from the xterm) and
execute bash, this solves the problem there. But I think that the
right solution is to configure bash correctly, as the application
cursor mode is disabled after using some applications (e.g. less).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International