Re: Home and end keys (was Re: Make Debian better)

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 23:41:49 +1000, Russell wrote:
> > After doing echo -ne "\e[?1h", does Home still give ^[[H  ?
>
> No, ^[OH as expected.
>
> > For a bash-specific fix, you could try: set enable-keypad on.
> > Maybe zsh has a similar setting.
>
> No, I think I need to configure that with bindkey. By default, one has:
>
> greux:~> bindkey | grep of-buffer
> "^[<" beginning-of-buffer-or-history
> "^[>" end-of-buffer-or-history
>
> But then, if I get different sequences for Home, depending on the
> machine, I'll need to define a key binding for each of them. I'd
> like to know if there is a standard for Home and End.

The standard xterm commands are in:
  http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/howto/Xterm-Title/ctlseqs.txt

BTW, did you use an xterm with TERM="xterm" ?
If TERM somehow didn't match the terminal you're using, then
the wrong terminfo entry would be used which means the terminal
would be getting the wrong commands (so i theorize...)

Try getting the keys to work in a bash shell, which should
prove the terminal part works. Then try the zsh which might
isolate the problem.