printer troubles

After a new Woody install on my Dell Latitude I can't get my HP6L Laserjet printer to work with some apps. I am trying to use CUPS. I have installed
cupsys
cupsysclient
cupsomatic-ppd
cupsys-driver-gimpprint
kdelibs3-cups

I went to http://localhost:631 to configure the printer.

I can print from the command line using lp, and from Mozilla mail but not from KDE apps.

If I look at the KDE control center I don't see the printer installed and the icon to install a printer isn't available.

Looking back at the CUPS documentation at localhost:631, under Help, at the end of the Software Administrator's Manual, there is a section called 'My applications don't see the available printers'. This refers me to the /etc/printcap file. It says the default is
Printcap /etc/printcap
although for me the statement shows
Printcap /etc/printcap.cups
If I edit the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and take out the '.cups' at the end of the statement (so it reads as what it says the default should be) the printer spits out blank sheets continuously. The add printer icon now shows up in KDE but of course it does me no good.

I have tried two drivers,
HP LaserJet 6L, Foomatic + lj5grey (en)      (this doesn't work for me)
HP LaserJet 6L, Foomatic + ljet4 (en)      (works as described above)

So I have the following questions.
1. Should the Printcap statement be 'Printcap /etc/printcap' or "Printcap /etc/printcap.cups'?
2. Why does the printer spit out blank sheets?
3. How do I add the printer to KDE?

By the way, the printer works with SuSe so I know the printer and cable are OK

I would appreciate any help.