Re: OT: Live Win32 bootable CDs (was Re: Knoppix & DemoLinux)

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:12:20PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Actually, that exists.  There's a company, French IIRC, which produces a
> live "runs from CD" version of Legacy MS Windows.  They had to play some
> tricks with a number of files which must be writeable by the system, not
> sure what exactly these were.  I've also spent fifteen minutes googling
> for any reference to them, no dice.
>
> A couple of near misses:
>
>     Booting Windows from CD
>     http://24.191.72.75:88/WinOnCd/winoncd.html
>
>     Booting Windows From CD-ROM
>     (largely same as above)
>     http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/
>
> I realize this is pretty OT, point being that MSFT _can_ do these
> things, but generally chooses not to.  Again, largely for licensing and
> revenue issues.  A classic vendor-customer goal mismatch, and signs of
> long-term trouble.

I had some Japanese version of windows 98 laptop PC.  They do not supply
standard windows disk.  Instead, they supply disk image file containing
installed windows system with driver files in harddisk.

Interesting part is how they install system.

1. Boot disk is MSDOS with RAMDISK creation.
2. Boot process copy and keeps executable commands in RAMDISK.

Considering huge RAM space, I am sure you can pull the same trick to
install windows 3.1 in RAMDISK.

Hmmm,  DOD6.2/V may be also interesting...  Or FREEDOS ;-)

        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract