Re: Knoppix & DemoLinux

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:56:00PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Oct 16, 2002, Andy Saxena (andyML@nyc.rr.com) wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > Windows advocates complain that there's no innovation coming out of
> > Linux. When they can manage to run their OS on a  CD, I'll believe them
> > :-}.
>
> Actually, there *is* a boot-from-disk mode for MS Legacy MS Windows, but
> it's a licensing nightmare and is effectively only available to OEMs.
> Called the Legacy MS Windows Preinstallation Environment:
>
>     http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/sam/winPe.asp
>

> As is often (and increasingly) the case with Microsoft, licensing and
> revenue concerns are obstructing technical capabilities.  This now
> directly in the face of superior, freely available alternatives closely
> associated with the word "GNU/Linux".
>
> I also note that there appears to be a marketing push behind the tool
> currently as I'm picking up several current articles regarding it, as
> current as today (19 Oct 2002).
>
> Peace.

It's amazing how one learns new things from off-the-cuff remarks. I
guess they are innovative in that regard.

Let me up the challenge just a notch. How about Windows Live Filesystem
CD that includes a full-blown office suite, programming
environment, web browser and <add your commonly used apps here>.
Perhaps, you'd need the source for that level of customization :-}.

-Andy