Re: Compiling a kernel for another machine

Alex Malinovich, 2002-Oct-15 16:07 -0500:
> I've got an Athlon XP 2000 system running as my desktop machine. I've
> also got a PIII 850 laptop and a p133 mail server. While recompiling the
> kernel on the laptop isn't too time consuming it still takes almost
> twice as long as it does on my desktop. And don't even get me started
> about the p133... :)
>
> Using the Debian Way of rolling a kernel, can I use my desktop to
> compile the kernel for the other machines? Are there any special flags,
> or is there any special optimization that is done at compile time that I
> might lose if I compile on a machine other than the one the kernel is
> going to be run on?
>
> Eventually, I'd like to do all of my compilation on my desktop, but for
> now I'd be content with just the kernel. Though if anyone has any
> general tips on the subject, they'd be very much appreciated.
>
> -Alex

Actually, using kernel-package makes the kernel image very portable.
I do this exact thing.  I've compiled kernels for friends and emailed
the .deb to them.  There are no flags or anything special you need to
do, besides using the appropriate config options for the machine in
question.  Also, you'll probably want to use a different source tree
for each machine, and use a different name for each kernel-image using
the --revision=customename.1.0 option.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer