Re: Compiling a kernel for another machine

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 14:07, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I've got an Athlon XP 2000 system running as my desktop machine. I've
> also got a PIII 850 laptop and a p133 mail server. While recompiling the
> kernel on the laptop isn't too time consuming it still takes almost
> twice as long as it does on my desktop. And don't even get me started
> about the p133... :)
>
> Using the Debian Way of rolling a kernel, can I use my desktop to
> compile the kernel for the other machines? Are there any special flags,
> or is there any special optimization that is done at compile time that I
> might lose if I compile on a machine other than the one the kernel is
> going to be run on?

make-kpkg was designed to make this possible.

What you need to do is configure the kernel (make xconfig, menuconfig,
whatever) once for each machine and save the .config file found in the top of
the kernel source somewhere safe.  Then just cp machine.config
/usr/src/linux/.config and run make-kpkg.

The kernel compilation follows the options given it and does not look at your
system.