Compiling a kernel for another machine

I've got an Athlon XP 2000 system running as my desktop machine. I've
also got a PIII 850 laptop and a p133 mail server. While recompiling the
kernel on the laptop isn't too time consuming it still takes almost
twice as long as it does on my desktop. And don't even get me started
about the p133... :)

Using the Debian Way of rolling a kernel, can I use my desktop to
compile the kernel for the other machines? Are there any special flags,
or is there any special optimization that is done at compile time that I
might lose if I compile on a machine other than the one the kernel is
going to be run on?

Eventually, I'd like to do all of my compilation on my desktop, but for
now I'd be content with just the kernel. Though if anyone has any
general tips on the subject, they'd be very much appreciated.

-Alex