Re: Compiling a kernel for another machine

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:07:04PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I've got an Athlon XP 2000 system running as my desktop machine. I've
> also got a PIII 850 laptop and a p133 mail server. While recompiling the
> kernel on the laptop isn't too time consuming it still takes almost
> twice as long as it does on my desktop. And don't even get me started
> about the p133... :)
>
> Using the Debian Way of rolling a kernel, can I use my desktop to
> compile the kernel for the other machines? Are there any special flags,
> or is there any special optimization that is done at compile time that I
> might lose if I compile on a machine other than the one the kernel is
> going to be run on?
>
> Eventually, I'd like to do all of my compilation on my desktop, but for
> now I'd be content with just the kernel. Though if anyone has any
> general tips on the subject, they'd be very much appreciated.

I take it you've never compiled a kernel on a 386 (type 'make', come
back the next morning to see if it succeeded)!

Actually, this is (IMHO) one of the biggest pluses for the Debian
method of kernel compilation/packaging.  Compile on the desktop using
make-kpkg and transfer the file over to the other computer(s).  You can
choose 386 and have the kernel not be CPU-dependent but I believe it is
also possible (although I haven't tried it) to compile an optimized
kernel on a machine with a different series of CPU (within the i386
family).