Re: Routing doesn't start automatically

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> In setting up my new machine, I've run into an odd problem.  When the
> machine boots, the routing table doesn't get restored correctly.  I have
> to type the following:
> route add eth0
> route add default gw

> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address
>         netmask
>         network
>         broadcast
>         gateway

The trouble is the gateway you want to use as your default is not on
your network as specified by the netmask. is not on the 192.168.12/30 net, that is why you must
manually add a route for that network and then the default gateway.

Just adjust /etc/network/interfaces and you should be all set, either
make the netmask /24, ( and remove the "network" and
"broadcast" lines (advisable from the looks of things) or dig deeper
to find out why you set such a small netmask to begin with and what
_should_ be your gateway.

Jereme Corrado <jereme@restorative-management.com>
System Administrator
Restorative Management Corp.

"He has the right to criticize who has the heart to help."
--Abraham Lincoln