Reiserfs & bad blocks??

This may be more suited to a reiserfs list, but seeing as many people are now
using the bf24 kernel with reiserfs, the following may have been dealt with
by other Debian users.

I have a Debian Woody desktop system running a custom 2.4.18 kernel; the
system is a PII 350 w. an IDE 40Gb hard drive, where /dev/hda1 is the swap
partition, and /dev/hda2 the linux / partition, formatted reiserfs. Yes,
everything on one partition.

While installing something using apt-get the other day, I started getting the
following error messages; i.e., for installing gnome-gnomine:

 unable to open files list file for package `gnome-gnomine': Permission denied
  /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-games-locale_1.4.0.3-6.1_all.deb
 Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

I noted some files in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ are corrupt, but cannot be removed,
or even accessed; they won't even respond to a "ls -l":

 desktop:/var/lib/dpkg/info# ls -l gnome*
 ls: gnome-card-games.list: Permission denied
 ls: gnome-control-center.list: Permission denied
 ls: gnome-gnomine.list: Permission denied
 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root   1218 Feb  6  2002 gnome-applets.conffiles

I figured this is a hardware/bad block problem. I rebooted with a rescue disk,
and ran reiserfsck --check /dev/hda2, and received the following error:

 hda: read_intr: error-0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=148574,
 sector=148511 end_request: I/O errore, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 148511

From the above, I gather I have bad blocks on the hard drive. I had a look at
www.namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html, and the only mention of bad blocks
includes instructions for how to install reiserfs on a (presumably blank)
partition with bad blocks; it says nothing (that I could find) about what to
do when your _existing_ reiserfs drive gets bad blocks.

I have seen similar questions posted elsewhere, i.e., on the linux kernel
mailing list (though without answers), i.e.,
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0202.3/0546.html

Is there a way (yet) to mark bad blocks on a reiserfs filesystem??

Thoughts welcome.

Bruce