tap0, pppoe, netenv

Question:

When my laptop boots, I see a tap0 interface configured. What is it and why? How do I disable it?

Also, when I boot, my computer is by default trying to load pppoe (which I accidentally configured for boot). If I had it connected to my pppoe modem, then I believe I could reconfigure it through pppoeconf not to do this anymore at boot. Since it’s not connected, how can I reconfigure it so that it doesn’t try to connect at boot?

Also, there is this interesting process when I boot called netenv. As I understand, I can configure this, so that depending on the network environment I’m in, it will configure my laptop accordingly. But as far as I can regardless of environment, it always boots the same.  Any hints?

Curtis