Re: CD Writing [was: Re: The Real Problem With Debian]

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:59:25 -0700 Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> Then what's the point of it being a module?  If it's going to be loaded
> all the time, then build it into the kernel and be done with it.  I
> never have seen the point in /etc/modules except for people that use the
> packaged kernels

Perhaps for people that maintain a number of systems and would rather not
custom build a kernel for each one.  I find it much easier to add a few
entries to /etc/modules and not worry about it, than to recompile a custom
kernel on a P166 with 32 megs RAM.  Sure, I could compile a new kernel for
the P166 on a newer machine and transfer it over, but /etc/modules is
still less involved.

Say for example I switch SCSI controllers or get a new firewire/usb device
that I want to use on the system?  Should I manually load the new module
each boot, rebuild my kernel to support it, or simply add an entry to
/etc/modules?

Modularity has it's benefits, and it's drawbacks.

--
Jamin W. Collins