RE: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I am already a competent Linux
user. I am a programmer by trade, and know a smattering of C, Bash, and
Perl. I use Linux extensively at work, and somewhat at home. My idea was
regarding the *mastery* of Linux, not learning it as a newbie. So far,
I've been exploring the nooks and crannies, motivated by use cases and
the demand for quick results. Now, I feel that I'm ready to try a
different approach, if one is elucidated somewhere on the net.

In other words, I'd like to revisit the things I already know how to do
from a more abstract, fundamental POV.

(This is very similar to how physics is taught in school. You generally
learn the subject 3 times: first, you learn a bunch of simple equations
everyone knows about and apply them (high school and lower division
college), next you learn how to derive the simple equations everyone
knows about(upper division), and finally you learn how to derive complex
equations no-one knows about (graduate school). For non-US readers: high
school is ages 14-18, lower division 18-20, upper 20-22, and grad school
22-26, roughly speaking.)

The major part of my motivation is that I don't want to memorize so much
stuff. I would like to really understand the system so that I can derive
simple results with ease, with a minimum of rote memorization. (Somewhat
ironically I find memorization to be much easier when I understand what
I'm memorizing. Kind of like Go josekis.)

Why did I post to the list? I am looking for a teacher, or, the next
best thing, a book.

I'm not feeling well today so I'd better keep this short. :-(