Re: CD Writing [was: Re: The Real Problem With Debian]

David P James wrote:
> -SNIP- <

I'm wondering why my modules.conf that I had to edit keeps reverting back to the previous version every time I reboot; it is really kind of frustrating. It means that every time I reboot I have to mess around and reload the ide-scsi module as well as having to load the module for my soundcard (if I forget to do the latter all manner of nastiness happens when KDE starts up). It also sends up a flurry of warnings that my "modules.conf is newer than modules.dep" [I'm thinking - so what if it is?].

--David [using Knoppix on an otherwise Windows computer right now]

The /etc/modules.conf file is auto-generated by the "update-modules" command from the contents of the /etc/modutils/ directory. This is well-documented at the top of the modules.conf file and in "man update-moudules". Many packages that have to manipulate modules when they are installed will make the proper additions to /etc/modutils then run "update-modules". If your personal changes are not in the /etc/modutils directory, then they will not be automatically placed in the next generation of /etc/modules.conf! Although I cannot find it now, I suspect "update-modules" is run somewhere in the boot process too somewhere.

If you want your changes to be permanant, you should should not modify /etc/modules.conf directly. You should use one of the other tools like the "modconf' command or insert the proper changes in the /etc/modutils/ directory then use update-modules to make them permanent.

I have also found that inserting the needed modules in /etc/modules works quite well too in most cases, and is a bit simpler to implement for me.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-