Re: CD Writing [was: Re: The Real Problem With Debian]

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 14:59, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 07:47:48PM -0400, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > Unless I'm passing options to a module, I *always* simply add it to the
> > /etc/modules file -- and I've never had a problem.
>
> Then what's the point of it being a module?  If it's going to be loaded all
> the time, then build it into the kernel and be done with it.  I never have
> seen the point in /etc/modules except for people that use the packaged
> kernels (where, of course, you want everything to be a module so you can
> support the max hardware without having the kernel that ate Detroit).
>
> Although I suppose for something like a SCSI adapter, you could then unload
> and reload the module to get devices re-detected or something.
>
> --
> Marc Wilson
> msw@cox.net

Two common reasons for going with modules:

1) Devices that need particular parameters to be configured wrt the
handler module.

2) System environments where memory is innordinately constrained so only
occasionally used sections are in memory *only* when necessary.

I may have missed something wrt Linux, but as a rule, kernel code in
pretty well any o/s does not ever get swapped out, so for users being
very careful about memory usage, modules for drivers only periodically
active are removed whenever possible.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org