Re: Emacs and ALT Key in New Debian Installation

Bob Proulx wrote:

Mark Seven Smith <pampaluz@cox.net> [2002-10-02 05:58:48 -0700]:

I recently installed Debian (Woody 3.0), and I have Emacs 21. I have found that the ALT key does not work. When I go to use M-X as a prefix, or when I need to use the ALT key for any command, all I get is a beep, and nothing else happens.

I found that too.  I found that if I installed using the PC104
keyboard instead of the PC102 keyboard that ALT was no longer a meta
key.  But the "Windows" key was the meta key!  Apparently someone
thought they would use that extra key as a meta key and moved it off
of the ALT key.  The bad thing I see is that selecting PC102 or PC104
actually causes different keys to be mapped as the meta key.

Does the "Windows" key work as a meta key for you?

YES, it does!  Whoa!

What is good about this? Does it give one increased functionality? For instance, does emacs have a use for an <ALT> key?

I kind of like having a USE for that otherwise useless key! <grin!>

In other news: the Linux Counter is getting rid of all records over 2 years old. If you have an entry there, you should login to update it so that they can have acurate records.

If you haven't signed in to the Linux Counter before, well now is as good a time as any to do so! :)

http://counter.li.org/

TIA,

--
Mark Seven Smith:  |  markvii  |  AKA: Pampaluz
Registered Linux User #122264, Debian GNU/Linux