Emacs and ALT Key in New Debian Installation

I recently installed Debian (Woody 3.0), and I have Emacs 21.  I have found that
the ALT key does not work.  When I go to use M-X as a prefix, or when I need to
use the ALT key for any command, all I get is a beep, and nothing else happens.

The ALT key works as a META key just fine when working from a real console
(without X).  It is only in X that it doesn't work.  This is irritating, because
for instance, when scrolling backwards, I have to keep hitting ESC V, instead of
holding down the ALT key and hitting V.

Any ideas on why my ALT key doesn't work?  Thanks in advance,

Mark Seven Smith:  |  markvii  |  AKA: Pampaluz
Registered Linux User #122264, Debian GNU/Linux
pampaluz@cox.net         http://counter.li.org/
* Remember To Update Your Linux Counter Info! *