Re: home ethernet IP addresses

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 08:07:27PM -0700, Vineet Kumar happened to mention:
> * Jeff Maxson (jbmaxson@surfglobal.net) [021002 19:31]:
> > gotten to the point where ifconfig gives me...
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:5A:87:11:5E
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:233 errors:786 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1572
> >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> >           RX bytes:83417 (81.4 KiB)  TX bytes:79686 (77.8 KiB)
> >           Interrupt:5 Base address:0xe000
>
> > like to print stuff (using samba) from my computer (sarge) to my
> > wifes' printer (windows).  don't I need an IP address to do that?
>
> Yes. And btw, afaik, polygyny is illegal (but IANAL). Perhaps you mean
> "wife's" instead of "wifes'"? ;-)

ok, ok... :)

> > But anyway, yes, you do need an IP address to participate on your LAN.
>
> > know DHCP has to do with dynamic IP addresses, right?  or am I "out
> > there?"
>
> Yes, DHCP is the protocol by which dynamic IP addresses are assigned.
> It probably does a DHCPREQUEST and/or DHCPDISCOVER.  That means it's

bingo.  DHCPREQUEST is what popped up.

> trying to contact a DHCP server to ask for an address.  Is there a DHCP
> server on your network?  How does the windows machine get its address?
> IIRC, windows gives the option to "get an address automatically" or
> "specify an address manually" or something.  If it's set to "automatic",
> then DHCP should probably work for your debian machine as well.  Is
> there a router or something that on your network that runs a DHCP
> server?  If it's set to something manually, let us know what those
> settings are and we can help you figure out what address you can use for
> the debian machine and tell you how to set it up (TFM in that case is
> 'man 5 interfaces').  In order to print to a windows computer, you will
> probably need to set up samba, but let's get walking before we try to run =)

Holy cow.  Windows is set up as "get an IP address automatically", and
no, there is no router, just a cross-over cable connecting the two.
I'm guessing sticking in a static IP for both would be good, so as to
make sure the IP addresses don't change every time either of us
reboots, but would that make any problems if one of us were to dial
up?

BTW, she is running Win98.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind help.  I will check out the
interfaces man page.

--
Jeff Maxson
jbmaxson@surfglobal.net