Re: home ethernet IP addresses

Jeff Maxson wrote:

Hey all,
please don't spank me here.  I've read the networking and ethernet
howto's and gotten to the point that I have the linksys standard cheap
10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX) plugged in, set up using "etherconf", and
gotten to the point where ifconfig gives me...

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:87:11:5E UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:83417 (81.4 KiB) TX bytes:79686 (77.8 KiB) Interrupt:5 Base address:0xe000
my question is, shouldn't there be some way to give it an IP address
for my home 2-computer LAN?  It's dual boot, and I got the windows to
work with the other computer on the LAN (also windows), and now I'd
like to print stuff (using samba) from my computer (sarge) to my
wifes' printer (windows).  don't I need an IP address to do that?

"printing howto" which I will get to later, and there is an SMB howto,
which I have also perused.

Things look like they are going well, but not sure.  Also, i noticed
that when I boot, there is some DHCPSOMETHING (I forget the
"something" part) that pops up, and it sits on it trying many things
for awhile, and then says it is sleeping I think.  Is this related?  I
know DHCP has to do with dynamic IP addresses, right?  or am I "out
there?"

Thanks for any help, all.  No huge hurry, just interested in learing
linux networking...

Jeff

Your Windows boxes might be communicating via NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP (esp. c. Win95 era). Do your Windows boxes have IP addresses (at a Command Window, type winipcfg or ipconfig (different commands for different Windows versions - btw, you might tell us what version(s) of Windows you have).

If they do have IP addresses, how are they getting them? Is one of the Windows boxes set up as a DHCP server? Are they plugged into a switch/router/cable modem/dsl modem/what?

You can either tell your Linux boxes to use static IP addresses (edit /etc/network/interfaces - see "man interfaces") of let them pick up dynamic IP addresses via DHCP, which sounds like the way you've got your box configured. So either you don't have a DHCP server (cable modem, etc) giving out IP addresses, or there's some sort of communication problem between the DHCP server and your Linux box.

Hopefully this'll help you narrow down the possibilities a bit, and perhaps provide more info that might help us help you.

Kent