Re: Pre-release Woody 3.0: 'Man' & Gnome Terminal not working.

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 08:59, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:52:45AM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > It's been missing on my system, too, since about when man-db last moved
> > into testing (not saying it was man-db that did this, just that the time
> > was the same.) That said, I just went with the older solution of
> > defining the PAGER environment variable and exporting it in my shell
> > .rc, which was the way I'd been raised to do this. I've declined to file
> > a bug report on this because I want to be sure it goes to the right
> > package (Maintainers are busy enough - if I can essentially track the
> > problem down to a specific patch, hopefully that will save headaches all
> > around.)
>
> Can I guess that you have sawfish-pager installed? It used to clobber
> /usr/bin/pager, although it's been fixed now.

Good call - I did that the same day, probably within ten minutes, and
ran it for 24 hours at most, before removing it as redundant (a
multi-desktop pager that isn't automatically sticky?)

Is there a central repository of what files have been created by
packages on the Debian managed part of the filesystem? I just ran into
the same problem a couple weeks ago over /usr/bin/blackhole, used by the
blackhole-<mta> packages, but also still around in the old xjokes
package (now moved to /usr/games after a bug report I filed.)

Which also surprises me - I thought I should have had an "attempt to
overwrite file belonging to another package" with sawfish-pager - I
didn't see anything. Does dpkg wave off that message when it is looking
at symlinks?