Re: Concerning Upgrade to Woody: Couldn't configure a pre-depend

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:04:49PM +0200, Andreas Hetzmannseder wrote:
> I recently bought a CD-set of woody as I want to upgrade from potato.
> As apt-cdrom wouldn't include the sources from CD in the first place
> I did the following:

I didn't have trouble with apt-cdrom to add the cd's as sources
(going from Potato stable to Woody stable), but now I have trouble
with apt-get not recognising the cd's?  Anyway I'm still investigating.

>     6% [Working]
>
>     Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled
>     'Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-1 (0721)'
>     in the drive '/cdbrenner/' and press enter
>
>     6% [Working]
>
>     E: Internal Error, Couldn't configure a pre-depend

Yes, I saw that exact same error.

I got around it by serendipity.  I wanted ssh for other
reasons, and did apt-get install ssh (after that other failure).
That caused libc6 to be installed (without any pre-depends
dependencies), and I was able to do the rest.

> I wonder what this internal error about the pre-depend means.
> If this is a specific pre-depend, how can I find out something about it
> to fix it?

Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Also, I've always wondered how you get apt or dpkg to tell you
which packages are being held back (you know that summary
that apt-get gives you, 1 package to install new, 15 packages
to upgrade, 1 package to remove and 1 package to hold).  What
is that package being held?!?

I upgraded from Official Potato 2.2r4 (20011107), sparc to
Official Woody 3.0r0 (20020719) sparc via cd.

--
bjb at achilles dot net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org