Re: Concerning Upgrade to Woody: Couldn't configure a pre-depend

Brenda J. Butler wrote on Monday, September 16th 2002 at 22.55 h
(-0400):

> > [...]
>
> I didn't have trouble with apt-cdrom to add the cd's as sources (going
> from Potato stable to Woody stable), but now I have trouble with
> apt-get not recognising the cd's?  Anyway I'm still investigating.

I also had problems with this, so I started the apt-cdrom-add procedure
all over again.  I believe now, that the CD sources can be fetched,
although I'm completely stuck at the moment.  You may want to check if
there are entries for the CDs in your /var/lib/apt/lists that start with
'Debian%20GNU_Linux'.

> >  6% [Working]
> >
> >  Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
> >  r0 _Woody_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-1 (0721)' in the drive
> >  '/cdbrenner/' and press enter
> >
> >  6% [Working]
> >
> >  E: Internal Error, Couldn't configure a pre-depend
>
> Yes, I saw that exact same error.
>
> I got around it by serendipity.  I wanted ssh for other reasons, and
> did apt-get install ssh (after that other failure).  That caused libc6
> to be installed (without any pre-depends dependencies), and I was able
> to do the rest.
>
> > I wonder what this internal error about the pre-depend means.  If
> > this is a specific pre-depend, how can I find out something about it
> > to fix it?
>
> Yeah, I'd like to know too.
>
> Also, I've always wondered how you get apt or dpkg to tell you which
> packages are being held back (you know that summary that apt-get gives
> you, 1 package to install new, 15 packages to upgrade, 1 package to
> remove and 1 package to hold).  What is that package being held?!?

I put a lot of packages on hold by intention, because I wanted to make
sure that if anything would go wrong, I wouldn't have to wait for two
days to download.  I used dselect and hit the '=' key for every single
highlighted package.

> I upgraded from Official Potato 2.2r4 (20011107), sparc to Official
> Woody 3.0r0 (20020719) sparc via cd.

Thanks for the hint with ssh.  I will try it out.  If anything goes
wrong I probably will make a fresh install as I found out that my /var
partition seems to have become too small.  This gave me a lot of
problems by the way which I didn't even mention.  CDs not being
recognised was probably one of them.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Andreas.

PS: I'm CCing you because I'm not sure if this message will show up in
the list.  I seem to have gone into problems with posting as my recent
message - the one you responded to - has been marked with a spam level
of 4 :(  Yesterday I wrote a complaint about it which seems to have been
filtered out :(  So please excuse me for taking this measure.