Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 08:43:47PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
| On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 11:04:59AM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
| > Well, that would appear to nullify my idea.  Are the NICs coming up in
| > 10 or 100 mode?
|
| I don't know. No mention to be found. I tried ifup to be more
| verbose, but that doesn't show it. I am not even sure if this
| the business of ifup. I don't no how to manipulate the driver to be
| more verbose or where else to look.
|
| Ping -f shows a 2% packet loss. I am not too worried it. Were it not
| for the blinkenlights, I wouldn't have known about it.
|
| Unless you can advise from the top of your head, don't bother.

Some NICs and hubs/switches have lights on them to indicate whether
the link is
    1)  10 Mbps or 100 Mbps
    2)  Full-duplex or half-duplex

For example, the D-Link switch I have shows a green connection light
for 100Mbps links and orange for 10Mbps links.  The other light is off
when the link is inactive and half-duplex, on when the links is
inactive and full-duplex, and blinks when the link is actively
transferring data.

One of my Linksys NICs has 4 leds on the back to show the same info
(10 vs 100, full vs half duplex, link, active) and the other one has 2
leds (only shows half the info too).

HTH,
-D

--