Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 10:00:05AM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Which network cards (chipset) are you using in the machines?  What are
> you using to connect them (hub, switch, etc) and what model?

Realtek using 8139too on both machines, Unex HA050 5 port hub (10 Mbit).

> Off hand, I suspect that your problem is that the workstation NICs are
> coming up in full duplex and your connection mechanism isn't trully
> capable of operating in this mode.

The el cheapo hub probably doesn't. Don't you need a switch for
that?

$ dmesg |grep duplex
eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
0000

This on both systems. I assumed that duplex was not the issue here.
Can I take above message for granted?

Bob