Re: (OT) The NFS security system

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 15:34, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Mark Roach <mrroach@okmaybe.com> writes:
>
> > Samba seems like a decent tool for file sharing on linux don't write it
> > off too quickly. If I'm not mistaken it was originally designed for
> > unixen.
>
> Well, it was originally designed to run on Unixen.  I doubt it was
> originally designed to be used by Unix clients.
>
> How exactly do you set executable, suid, or sticky bits over Samba?
> (On a per-file basis, naturally.)

I would imagine that suid would be considered a 'bad thing' for a user
mountable file sharing protocol. In my mind this is the difference
between nfs (remote file system) and smb (file sharing): nfs is meant
for highly controlled servers where the shortcomings mentioned earlier
in this thread are not important (in my mind I equate nfs with something
akin to a networked scsi bus), smb is useful for remote access of data
for users (not the system itself).

Perhaps I am overly simplifying this, but it seems to me that these
protocols attack very different problems altogether.

-Mark