Re: (OT) The NFS security system

On Friday 13 September 2002 18:23, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Yes. There is no authentication at all. Every request just contains
> a numeric user-id and group-id that specifies the user that the
> request should be run as, and the server trusts the client completely.
>
> There is "secure NFS" and also kerberized NFS but I don't
> think anybody ever wrote a Linux implementation.
>
> So basically there is no NFS security system ..
>
> Mike.

Hmm i assumed that... but thats very bad... I mean, that makes NFS unusable in
a LAN wich needs to be protected also against its own users. Every user can
just connect his Laptop to the network and "surf" as root in the NFS
shares... so you need the squash root everywhere and that makes it unusuable
for system things like nfsroot :-((

Is there another common way for shring files on Linux? A system wich respects
the UNIX user system? Please don't say SAMBA cause it does not do that...
--
Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch>
Annoyed about M$ Windows? Don't worry. Try Linux! (www.linux.org)