Re: Local address lookup

Jan Willem Stumpel said:

> So I would be grateful for any pointers to configuration mistakes  I
> might have made. Or is there a bug in telnet? I do not think so. Lots of
> people (especially the ones with modems and dial-on-
> demand) would have complained already -- and I cannot find
> anything about "unnecessary dial-outs when telnetting to a local
> machine" in the archives.

it is I believe perfectly normal operation. Unix/Linux systems are
made for networks, part of which is host resolution provided by
DNS. from the tcpd manpage:

       tcpd verifies the client host name that is returned by the
       address->name  DNS  server by looking at the host name and
       address that are returned by the name->address DNS server.
       If  any discrepancy is detected, tcpd concludes that it is
       dealing with a host that pretends to  have  someone  elses
       host name.

your best options, since you don't seem to want to run a DNS I think
would be:

- use inetd, but edit inetd.conf so inetd doesn't load tcpd for whatever
services you want
- edit /etc/hosts.allow and add something like
ALL: 10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0
(where ^^^ is your local network mask)
- edit /etc/hosts.deny and comment out ALL: PARANOID

#2 and #3 will affect all services which use tcp wrappers, whereas
#1 will only affect stuff loaded from inetd.conf

nate