Re: (OT) The NFS security system

Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

> I have to say something to that NFS thing... I mean NFS does then not respect
> the very basics of file sharing. Even M$ does better. There u have everytime
> the server or a PDC wich checks the rights but N E V E R the client. I mean,
> how could the initial devloppers of NFS don't think about that? Trusting the
> client is a ridicolous thing... I can't imagine then a situation where NFS
> can be a good solution because for anonymous file services i can use FTP.

Well, remember that NFS is pretty old. Internet protocols of similar
vintage (SMTP, NNTP, and DNS come to mind) are similarly lacking in
security. These things are artifacts of the Good Old Days when
practically everyone on the Internet was either a university researcher,
a corporate employee (usually of a military contractor), or a US
government (probably Department of Defense or NASA) worker. The net is a
very different place now, and these old protocols need to be replaced or
revised to cope. I haven't paid a lot of attention to work in this area,
but I hear there is a secure DNS (DNSSEC), though nobody uses it.

Craig