Re: (OT) The NFS security system

On Friday 13 September 2002 18:47, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Yup. In fact squash_root only prevents you from accessing files
> as root; you can still access them as any other user.
>
> Well, for nfsroot you could export the filesystem read-only ofcourse,
> and keep writable dirs on local disk.
>
> >Is there another common way for shring files on Linux? A system wich
> > respects the UNIX user system? Please don't say SAMBA cause it does not
> > do that...
>
> Uhm .. coda (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/) comes to mind,
> and sfs (http://www.fs.net/)
>
> Mike.

Thaks alot...

I have to say something to that NFS thing... I mean NFS does then not respect
the very basics of file sharing. Even M$ does better. There u have everytime
the server or a PDC wich checks the rights but N E V E R the client. I mean,
how could the initial devloppers of NFS don't think about that? Trusting the
client is a ridicolous thing... I can't imagine then a situation where NFS
can be a good solution because for anonymous file services i can use FTP.

cheers,
Raffaele

--
Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch>