Re: Woody 'problems'

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 20:03, john gennard wrote:

> a. I have KDE installed, and configured kppp. When lauching kppp. I
> get this message 'Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display
> ":0.0"' .

No RENDER extension loaded in XF86Config-4.
http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/render/
Needed for antialiased fonts. Needs support from video card

> b. I intend to install LAN networking and have the phyical side
> dealt with and a NIC card in position and the kernal reconfigured.
> Booting shows the card OK.  When I run 'dpkg-reconfigure etherconf'
> to see what is involved, I get 'etherconf' is not fully installed'.

Do you have etherconf installed? dpkg-reconfigure says this even if the
package is not installed at all.

> 'ifconfg -a' shows both
> /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1 with details I do not understand.

Settings are in /etc/network/interfaces. You can edit by hand (not hard,
mostly only this):

# eth0 is brought up automatically at boot
auto eth0
# the interface eth0 uses a protocol from the inet family
# uses a statically allocated address
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0