Woody 'problems'

Have recently installed Woody and am trying to understand things
I've 'left for now' earlier (eg with Potato). Can anyone throw any
light on the following:-

a. I have KDE installed, and configured kppp. When lauching kppp. I
get this message 'Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display
":0.0"' . The program executes fine. What is the significance ot the
message?

b. I intend to install LAN networking and have the phyical side
dealt with and a NIC card in position and the kernal reconfigured.
Booting shows the card OK.  When I run 'dpkg-reconfigure etherconf'
to see what is involved, I get 'etherconf' is not fully installed'.
All my packages show as fully installed. 'ifconfg -a' shows both
/dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1 with details I do not understand.
Any explanation as to why etherconf is not fully installed?

c. Can anyone point me to a simple explanation about USB. I shall be
using a printer, scanner, webcam and memory card reader. The mboard
has the capability for two connections, so I'll probably start with
the printer and scanner and later add more ports with a PCI card.
I thought I'd reconfigured the kernel correctly, but as I get over
50 booting messages about usb I now wonder. Something basic to start
me off could enable me to see what I'm dealing with.

grateful for any help.

john.