Re: installing woody bf24 on vmware 2.0.4 and local apic problems

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:20:04PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> 2.0.4 is a bit old, isn't?

Well, yes, but I cannot afford $150 to upgrade it.

> Wrong question. It should be: ... around broken hardware emulated by
> non-free crap ...

And the _working_ open source alternative is...

> > 2. Is there any way to use an alternate kernel not on the CD?
>
> Read the boot screens.

I read f1-f10 and did not see anything about booting an alternate
kernel OTHER then ones on the CD.  Like on a floppy for instance.

> Huch? Loading bf2.4 kernel won't bring you LVM w/o additional tricks
> (manual hacking).

I realize that.  I will deal with that issue when it becomes an issue.
Right now the bf24 kernel won't even boot on VMware 2.0.4.

> There is a simple method for installing Debian on a
> temporal partition, with any kernel.

Which is?

b.

--