Re: Woody 'problems'

On Friday 23 August 2002 19:18, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:03:33PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> > c. Can anyone point me to a simple explanation about USB. I
> > shall be using a printer, scanner, webcam and memory card
> > reader. The mboard has the capability for two connections, so
> > I'll probably start with the printer and scanner and later add
> > more ports with a PCI card. I thought I'd reconfigured the
> > kernel correctly, but as I get over 50 booting messages about
> > usb I now wonder. Something basic to start me off could enable
> > me to see what I'm dealing with.
>
> USB spits out a large number of messages under normal operation.
> Every time it recognizes a device, is spits out about 5 or 6 lines
> (which counts the hub which is built into your motherboard).
> Several of these you can reproduce at your leisure by
> disconnecting and reconnecting your USB devices.
>
> Rather than getting another PCI card, you probably would be better
> off getting a USB hub.  But also keep in mind that USB devices are
> hot pluggable, so until you get a hub, you can always just keep
> disconnecting one device every time you need to use another one.

Thank you for the help - I've now been able to look at the messages
in a different light.  After re-reading the mobo manual I find I've
a second group of two ports which needs a separate cable to use them
(I'd glossed over the wording, which was 'USB connector x2' followed
by 'USB headers x2 - connecting cable option'). I'd assumed the two
booting message references to 'port1' and 'port2' were duplications,
but now I see two hub drivers with different interface addresses.
Again, thanks.

john.