Re: Hosed /var permissions

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:27, Chris Newbold wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 00:14, Adam Majer wrote:
> > Reinstalling would be the safe thing to do. It would be very difficult to
> > fix and you'll always might have some permission mismatches opening holes
> > in the system.
>
> That's what I was afraid of. Is there any easy way to preserve all of
> the configuration I've done? For example, all the conf file editing in
> /etc, the list of installed packages, etc?

You could probably use something like
dpkg --get-selections > sel
apt-get --reinstall install `cat sel`

I'm pretty sure that will fix all the problems without affecting any of your
configuration files, although there is a small chance it will miss some
files, and a small chance those files might introduce a security hole.

You'll probably find apt barfs over trying to install so many packages at
once, especially if some of the packages are broken, but split on sel should
tidy that up.

Corrin