Re: Hosed /var permissions

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 00:14, Adam Majer wrote:

> Reinstalling would be the safe thing to do. It would be very difficult to
> fix and you'll always might have some permission mismatches opening holes
> in the system.

That's what I was afraid of. Is there any easy way to preserve all of
the configuration I've done? For example, all the conf file editing in
/etc, the list of installed packages, etc?

I know I can just copy the files off somewhere, but is there an easier
way? How about the installed package list? Anyway to reinstall all that
stuff in one go?

I've also got package-specific data, like mailman lists and mysql
databases, that all live in /var. I need to find all of those things and
preserve them some how, too...

-Chris