Re: Hosed /var permissions

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 11:46:51PM -0400, Chris Newbold wrote:

> 	chown -R www-data:www-data /var/*
>
> So the nice, new box running all my services is now off in the weeds; I
> managed to get mail moving again but that's about it. I have absolutely
> no idea how to restore all the correct permissions in /var. I fixed mail
> by trial-and-error; gdm was kind enough to tell me what to do so I can
> at least log into GNOME, but...
>
> Anyone have any advice? I'm guessing there isn't a script to run that
> will just fix the permissions... Should I just reinstall from scratch
> again?

Reinstalling would be the safe thing to do. It would be very difficult to
fix and you'll always might have some permission mismatches opening holes
in the system.

Anaway, once I've done even something  much, much worse

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3

where I should have put /dev/hdc3 [hda3 was root :-[

That did the job nicely :) Recycled the wrong disk.....