Re: Hosed /var permissions

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:27:03AM -0400, Chris Newbold wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 00:14, Adam Majer wrote:
>
> > Reinstalling would be the safe thing to do. It would be very difficult to
> > fix and you'll always might have some permission mismatches opening holes
> > in the system.
>
> That's what I was afraid of. Is there any easy way to preserve all of
> the configuration I've done? For example, all the conf file editing in
> /etc, the list of installed packages, etc?
>
> I know I can just copy the files off somewhere, but is there an easier

Have you thought of doing

apt-get remove <package>
apt-get install <package>

?

The remove wont kill your configs and the install should fix the perms.

Do a backup of your /var first and try that and see how it goes.

Then when you get the important stuff you can think of going, you can
start on the small stuff.

--
   "There was a moo from under the blanket, and I knew it was not a person,
   but a calf."